The Making of
Murkon's Refuge was and is a labor of love for me. In 1995,
I completed an ASCII-based version that ran on UNIX systems. At the time, it
was the most complex and satisfying programming project I had ever undertaken.
In 2002, this web-based port of it was completed and released. The game, both
its original incarnation and this latest one, ranks among my proudest creative
and programming accomplishments. The following loosely-connected collection of
pages expounds on both the creative and technical sides of the making of
Murkon's Refuge -- both the original game and the web version.
- History - A history of Murkon's Refuge,
from even before the original game right up to the present web version
- Differences - A brief description of the
gameplay and functionality differences between the original game and
the web version.
- Coding - An analysis of the programming design
for the original game and the web version.
- Original Images - See ASCII views and images from
the original game.
- Dungeon Views - An explanation of how the
first person 3D views of the dungeon are rendered.